The Spring 2014 list from Anansi and Groundwood looks nothing short of fantastic. Editorial Assistant Suzanne and erstwhile Sales Assistant Eva have teamed up once again to choose a few of the books and put together a playlist full of songs that remind us of these fantastic stories. They can be enjoyed while you read, or can be experienced on their own. What other songs would you pick to go along with these amazing books?
El Niño by Nadia Bozak
Available May 2014
Inspired by J. M. Coetzee’s Disgrace, El Niño tracks the survival of one woman and a young, undocumented migrant as they journey through the no-man’s-land of a remote southwestern desert.
These are the songs we’d want to hear on a lone desert road.
- Make it Rain by Tom Waits | ♫
- Higgs Boson Blues by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds | ♫ (shout-out to Neil Turok, author of Universe Within)
- Woman King by Iron and Wine | ♫
- The Desert is on Fire by Murder by Death | ♫
Available May, 2014
A delicately rendered memoir on motherhood, family, and the beauty of the natural world.
Check out a few of our favourite birdish tunes.
- Rooster Moans by Iron and Wine | ♫
- Fly by Nick Drake | ♫
- Pulling our Weight by the Radio Dept. | ♫
- Backyard by The Good Lovelies | ♫
Available June, 2014
Globe and Mail columnist Elizabeth Renzetti’s debut novel is a hilarious look at what happens when a washed-out celebrity and a tabloid reporter go on a wild trans-Atlantic road trip in search of revenge on a former boyfriend.
Serving up some sweet tunes with an ’80s twist and a generous shot of revenge.
- Jump (For My Love) by the Pointer Sisters | ♫
- Back to Black by Amy Winehouse | ♫
- Bang Bang (My Baby Shot me Down) by Nancy Sinatra | ♫
This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki
Available May, 2014
The highly anticipated following up to Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki’s award-winning graphic novel Skim is an investigation into the mysterious world of adults through the eyes of Rose and Windy, two summer friends at Awago Beach.
Everyone loves a summer song — here are a few of our favourites.
- Animal Tracks by Mountain Man | ♫
- Abducted by Cults | ♫
- Boyfriend by Best Coast | ♫
- Saturday Morning by Eels | ♫
The Tweedles Go Electric by Monica Kulling, illustrated by Marie Lafrance
Available March, 2014
Meet the Tweedles: Papa, Mama, daughter Frances and her brother, Francis. It’s the dawn of a new century — the twentieth century! — and the Tweedles have decided to buy a car. But no gas-guzzler for this modern family. Only an electric car will do for them.
The Tweedles aren’t the only ones who’ve gone electric!
- Odessa by Caribou | ♫
- Boy from School by Hot Chip | ♫
- Honey by Moby | ♫
Available February, 2014
Literature’s most endearing rabbits are back in this sequel to Mr. and Mrs. Bunny — Detectives Extraordinaire! While the Bunnys’ human friend, Madeline, worries about saving money for college, Mrs. Bunny is more concerned about how to become a queen.
Here are some sweetly twee but driving hits for our favourite literary bunnies (though maybe we should have included more hip hop?).
- Paperback Writer by the Beatles | ♫
- Don’t Stop me Now by Queen | ♫
- Girls and Boys in Love by the Rumble Strips | ♫